Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blowing In The Wind

June 1 is the start of a season I once followed out of curiosity, the Atlantic Hurricane Season. I would follow the storm tracks, play the guessing game of where they would go, and at the same time pray any harm would be minimal. It was an interesting exercise, especially since I was doing it from California, which has never been visited by a hurricane. Which is why there are earthquakes as compensation.

Shortly before moving to the Houston area, hurricanes became personal. This started with Rita in 2005, that came way too close to where my wife was living at the time for comfort. Then in 2008, Ike made me realize I was about to trade my paranoia of earthquakes for the paranoia of hurricanes. It broadsided Galveston, (still the absolute worst place to build a city. Really now, sitting on a somewhat glorified sandbar that has no protection from tropical storms). By the time it reached my new house, (I had just mailed off the first mortgage payment), it had lost some of its punch. But it was such a massive storm it took a long time to pass through the area. That persistence, plus sustained high gale force winds, knocked down many trees in the area. We were lucky none of the ones near the house toppled over.

The house survived without a scratch, though before buying it, I don't remember anyone saying an actual demonstration of how it met the new Texas wind resistance standards would be part of the sales presentation. Still the power was out for almost a week after.

So what will I do if another one looks like it's getting close? Besides run around screaming in panic you mean? I have done some stocking up on water, (though more will be needed), batteries, non perishable food items, and an item lacking from last time, an ordinary plug in land line phone. During Ike I was out of state on business, and my wife had several digital phones in the house. Which meant when the power went out, so did they. She was able to call on her cell phone to let me know everything was ok. However, the car charger for her cell wasn't working so she had to conserve the phone's battery. Actually, the charger was fine, it was the outlet in the car that was on the fritz.

The predictions for this year are a more active than usual season. Oh joy. But with all weather predictions beyond say five days out, these predictions need to be taken with many large grains of salt. For most people, even one storm is one too many if it is parked in their neighborhood. At least there is one truth about hurricanes vs. earthquakes, with hurricanes you do get some warning, forget it with earthquakes.

No comments: