Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bit Of A Political Rant

I have to give President Obama credit for admitting he "screwed up" in not forcing Tom Daschle to withdraw his bid to be secretary of Health and Human Services. But it was bothersome Obama kept saying beforehand that he "absolutely stood by" Daschle despite his serious tax evasion issues. Loyalty is a commendable attribute. Daschle has long been an Obama supporter, and Obama felt he owed support in turn to his friend. However, to be President also means there are times feelings of loyalty must be set aside, and without reservation.

This was an issue during the campaign when Obama waited a very long time before distancing himself from his hate spewing minister Jeremiah Wright. As President one has to be ruthless and make hard decisions without being afraid of offending someone, even someone who has been a loyal associate for a long time. Perhaps Obama can learn when he needs to be ruthless, but I'm afraid he is too nice for his own good.

In an earlier blog, I wrote how I wrote in "None of the Above" as my choice for President during the last election. I saw John McCain as a man who had served his country well and honorably, who was perfectly suited for the Senate, but not inspiring the confidence of leadership I want in a President. Obama came off as also perfectly suited for the Senate, and the type of guy you'd love for a next door neighbor. But his lack of decisiveness in the Jeremiah Wright case took him out of the running in my book.

I am registered as an Independent, and have been so for the last twenty five years. I rarely vote for the major parties as they are both incompetent and corrupt to the core. Unfortunately, the political system in this country makes it nearly impossible for a viable third party, preferably one close to the center instead of liberal or conservative, can exist. This means many of my votes are protest votes, something that I will continue.

Obama may learn on the job and be an effective leader, but he is handicapped by an economy in freefall, and having to deal with some of the well entrenched characters in Washington. At the top of that list is Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. To say she's as dumb as a box of rocks means feeling obliged to apologize to every rock I see. My favorite sayings of hers are how we need to "Use more natural gas and get off fossil fuels," (hey doofus, natural gas IS a fossil fuel), and how she wants her congressional committees to have "More women and minorities." So whatever happened to just selecting the best people no matter their race or gender? I have reservations over some of Obama's appointees, but he has selected some good ones, and without regard for filling some type of feel good quota.

It's going to be an interesting four years.

No comments: